Moving to a new house can be an incredibly exciting time, but it requires a lot of preparation and thought, as there are a lot of things you need to sort out before you move.
If you are feeling overwhelmed by the amount of things you need to prepare, here is a list of everything you need to do. Once you’ve checked all of these items off your list, you can kick back and relax before your big move.
How to Prepare for a Move
- Get organized: there are a lot of things you’ll need to sort before you are ready to move, so make sure you know everything you need to do. Write a checklist of every single thing you need to before you move.
- Take inventory: before you start packing, make sure that you know everything that is going into your boxes. This way, when you come to unpack, you will know if you are missing any items. By taking inventory, you will also be able to estimate how much it will cost to move all your boxes and furniture.
- Prepare yourself for packing: a huge part of moving house is knowing how to pack all of your stuff correctly. Make sure you buy the correct packing equipment, like the right size boxes and bags. If you have a lot of fragile items, make sure you buy bubble wrap so everything can be stored safely.
- Prepare your new house: when you move home, you need to make sure that you make sure all the loose ends are tied up. For example, you need to make sure that you update all of your mailing addresses and shipping addresses. You don’t want any mail going to your old house! Make sure you set up utilities for your new house. You can either transfer your current utility bills over to your new property or you can search for different gas companies in Georgia to see if you could save money by switching energy providers when you move.
- Decide whether or not you want to hire professional movers: if you don’t have a lot of family and friends around to help you move, you should definitely consider hiring professional movers. They may be expensive, but will ensure that all of your personal belongings are moved correctly.
Now you know about some of the things you need to do before you move home, here are some easy packing tips you should use to make the process of moving easier:
- Declutter before you pack: before you start packing everything into boxes, lighten your workload by throwing away anything you no longer need.
- Invest in quality packing boxes: it’s tempting to buy the cheapest boxes in order to save money on moving. However, it is important that you invest in good quality boxes as this means that they are less likely to break when you are moving them about.
- Pack for at least 1 hour a day: while it is important that you don’t overwhelm yourself, you should aim to pack for at least one hour a day. As soon as you have a moving date, you should start packing. This way, when your moving day comes, you won’t be in a rush to pack everything.
- Label all of your boxes: got a box full of kitchen appliances? Make sure it doesn’t go in the bedroom. Label every box/bag you pack (or color code!) so that you know where all of your belongings are.
- Use bubble wrap on your fragile items: when it comes to moving, it is better to be safe than sorry. Wrap anything that you think might break in bubble wrap, and make sure you mark the boxes as fragile.
Moving into a new home doesn’t have to be difficult! Follow the tips above to make sure that you have a smooth move into your new home.